📙 Book: Show your work
gui commited 2 years ago
First book review I'm sharing. This model is inspired in Ali Abdaal who also is the responsible for making me interested into reading this book.
If you wish to grab this book, take a look here.
3️⃣ The Book in 3 Sentences
- Get a space on the internet (like your own studio) where you can share pieces of your work. From thoughts, ideas, posts, etc.
- Share everything (be mindful of exceptions), be it good or bad, make it public so people can criticize it.
- Get surrounded by people interested in what you are. Make it easy for them to find you, create your own network.
- The book wants to transform us in "influencers", but only in the fields we're interested.
- By getting an audience or "influencing", we might spread our ideas faster and make us noticeable without ever needing a resume.
- Our ideas should be spread without worrying about copying or creating concurrence. Instead it will make people admire our work.
🍀 How the Book Changed Me
- It got me more excited to start my blog ASAP.
- It made me realize Twitter is a better platform to share my work and spread ideas. (Today I got 1 follower, and I shouldn't bother. Instead I should just keep sharing).
- The author argues that how we tell our story is important. We need to learn how to tell stories, in special about ourselves. I hate it, but it made me realize I should change the way I tell my own story.
⚡ My Top Quotes
Share what you love, and the people who love the same things will find you.
By letting go of our egos and sharing our process, we allow for the possibility of people having an ongoing connection with us and our work, which helps us move more of our product.
It is actually true that life is all about “who you know.” But who you know is largely dependent on who you are and what you do, and the people you know can’t do anything for you if you’re not doing good work.
Ch 1. You don't have to be a genius
- You're already naked. You got nothing to lose.
Ch 2. Think process not product
- Document your work process.
- Let other people know what you're up to.
Ch 3. Share something small everyday
- Projects, ideas, thoughts, let your audience learn your progress even if imperfect.
Hi there! Are you enjoying what you're reading? If you do, you can be the first to know when I post cool stuff!